Monday, January 11, 2016

Jan 3 2016: favored of the lord

What happened in the two days since I last emailed? 
Not too much.. But a ton at the same time. Summary:

Friday: Went Ice skating with the district! Was fun... Felt very strange to see that much ice in one place... To feel that kind of cold again! It felt amazing. Fun time too. And because my companion is a Canadian. She is also of course a figure skater... In the past! She impressed us all as she made fancy twirls, twist and fishies... haha She even managed to impress a fellow falaang from Russia who came and asked her to teach her how to increase her skating speed haha.. We invited her to church and got her number. hahah referral from iceskating.

Saturday: Weird wierd day because everyone is still out of bangkok for the holidays. BUT we still managed to have some great lessons with Sister Noon and others. She is so excited to get the Holy Ghost.

Sunday: Had the most epic sacrament meeting of all time. And no! It was not in the Thai branch this time. It was international.... Goodness gracious.. I will have to tell the long story one day.. But short story.. There was a Thai member... Got up to bear their testimony/rage against faraangs... And she pulled this sweet 14 year old boy up to translate..... He did an amazing job. I don't how he was able to soften all the words she said. I don't think the any of the non thai speakers would have known that what she was saying was so horrible had the spirit not completely left.. But this awesome kid did such a good job translating. Closing remark of her testimony: "if you love me you will ask me to marry you.. but if you dont have 1 million baht dont even talk to me. In the name of... Amen"... The rest of that story.. Use your imagination.. Haha So fun in Thailand I love it so much!!! 

That night we went to the Granges' for dinner. Oh how I love them. It was so nice to be in a place where the was a warm family spirit. We love love love Elder and Sister Grange! On the way out Elder Paxton shared something that really impressed me... He read us 1 Nephi 1:1

 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parentstherefore I was taught somewhat in all thlearning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days,nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had great knowledge of the goodness and thmysteries of God, therefore make a record of my proceedings in my days.

He explained that something he has learned on his mission was that being highly favored of the lord... does not mean that we will not have trials... But in reality it will mean quite the opposite. Heavenly father lets us have "afflictions" because those are the very things that let us become. Grow into something beautiful! With this view.. we can better face the challenges that come into our lives with the sure knowledge, hope and faith.. That we are favored of the lord. Just like Nephi. And we like Nephi can know of his goodness.

I so love the book of mormon. thailand. all of it. 
I hope you all have a wonderful week. Talk to you again on Mondays! From here on out.

I love being a missionary.
Love,
Sister Coates



oh... I couldnt not take a pic of this and send... It might not be a good thing that i did.. but I thought it was so funny that the members did it I had to.... do you recognize what they put out to eat for all the members on sunday?



No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS