Sunday, October 4, 2015

Apr 6: T E M P L E

Oh my word. 

I can't even express you how I feel right now. Happy just doesn't cut it.

Last night.. at 12:00 am I woke up to our phone ringing... It was Sumittra and Sister Embley who had left a few hours prior on a bus to Bangkok for mission training... 

Sumittra asks: "Are you awake?"
Me: "Uh...." 
She says, through tears: "Sister Coates, President Monson just announced Thailand is going to have a temple."

OH. MY. GOODNESS. 

We cried together over the phone. She said: "Sister Coates, I am going to be able to reach my goal! Now I can go to temple with me family.".... Oh it was the sweetest moment.. I could literally feel the hearts of all the people around the world rejoicing.. Thailand has waited so long for this moment. So many people have worked so hard. So many missionaries.. So many faithful members. Tears on pillows. Inviting cards. Scriptures read. Prayers. 

And that he manifesteth himself unto all those who believe in him, by the power of the Holy Ghost ; yea, unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, working mighty miracles , signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith . 

And it was all done with faith. 

A temple in Thailand. This is BIG deal. This is a miracle. 

Miracle in the bible dictionary:

"Miracles...Proof that Jesus is the Christ... Miracles were and are a response to faith and it's best encouragement. They were never wrought without prayer, felt and faith... Miracles.. as being visible tokens of an invisible power. They are powers or mighty works, because they are the acts of One who is almighty; they are simply works, or the Messiah's presence among men: they are Wonders, Marvels, because of the effect produced on those who saw them..... Miracles are part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. If miracles cease it is because faith has ceased."

Faith has not ceased here in Thailand or in the hearts all around the world who are routing for Thailand. The Messiah is here! He lives. 
What a beautiful Easter miracle. 

Oh family. These people have wanted this for so long... Wards and Stakes plan temple trips to Hong Kong (the closest neighboring temple) YEARS in advance. They don't have to do that anymore.. The members in Myanmar and Laos! In Cambodia! All these places.. All these people. The temple is the most wonderful place in the world and now they get to go. And not just once every 2 years.. They can go every month. They could go every week! Every day!

So many members called us this morning.... They are so excited. Pure joy. Pure joy. Nittaya this morning said... "Wow is this a dream"... It is so amazing. 

*Something funny: So in Thailand eveone calls the old people Ma or Pa.. It's not weird.. just very endearing. So Tuesday we went inviting at the hospital.. Sister Sumittra starts to approach this old couple.. an old man and an old woman.. And to the MAN she says "Ma kha" <-- Trying to get HIS attention she called him MA! Haha... But it was because she really thought it was a woman.. She didn't realize that it was a man either until he said.. "khrap"..(word that the men will use at the end of sentences to be polite)... She was so embarrassed we laughed and laughed and laughed!

*April Fools (Happy Anniversary M+D!!) They don't have it here in Thailand... But we defs still played it. :) Sister Nittaya loved it! She is always playing pranks.. It was way funny to hear her explain it to her fellow khon Thais... She would say: "It's the day when Americans lie." haha <3

This week was a incredibly hot... All week long.. And was really difficult to make appointments.. So instead it became a week of service and inviting!!! So fun! Service = Happiness. Truth.

We cleaned- DEEP cleaned sister Jintana's house as a service project.. And then painted her walls light blue! Oh I have a testimony of being clean and being in clean places. They are truly places where the spirit can reside more fully.

We also went to Ma Oh-en's house (I don't know how to spell these people's names in English... Her name translated in English is Momma Fat... Yeah. For real. (: ) and we cleaned up her yard.... Wow.. There was a LOT of garbage... I am pretty sure we found some prehistoric items... These people have been living in the ba-noog for toooo long. :) They are so good though. They are still reading their scriptures together every night under the light of the single bulb. 

Another blessing. Have a new investigator named Ne! She is from Laos. And way cool. I invited her at central. She told be that she was Buddhist (no way! :P).. I told her she didn't need change religions to come check things out at the church.. :) She came to church on Sunday! And was a little mad at me because I didn't call her!! Ahh.. Which I felt terrible about.. I always call EVERY number that I get.. And I had fully intended on calling her.. But in my head I thought.. Oh no worries I just met her.. I can call her on Tuesday... Wrong. Lesson learned. I will never do that again! She is so interested though. She is meeting with us again on Tuesday and then coming to conference next week!

SPEAKING OF WHICH.

I have yet to watch conference. :( Thailand gets to watch it the week after so everything can be translated.. I will be watching it in English with the missionaries.. (hopefully we can get internet... Pray for us please... I want to watch it so bad! And so do these wonderful people!!).

I would love to hear from all of you what talks you loved and what inspirations you received.. And what you want to apply in your lives.. Conference is such an amazing time to self evaluate.. To say Lord is it I!? :) 

Oh I love being a missionary. 
I love Thailand so much.
I love my Savior so much. Because He lives we get to have places like the temple to feel of our heavenly father's love.

One last thing:
Last night after getting the call.. It took me a good 2 hours to fall back asleep. I was too excited to sleep. As I sat and thought about all those who have been waiting for this.. And about how big of a miracle this is... I could hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the ending of "Come Come Ye Saints".. But in Thai. All is well. Tuk Yang dii. ทุกอย่างดี

You're all in my prayers.
Love,
Sister Coates


Pictures: 

The district inviting @ the hospital. So fun.

What I wrote in my journal the second after getting the news of the temple. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS